Thursday, December 3, 2009

Where was I...

The last time I wrote I was in Coyhaique, trying to figure out what to do next.

I ended up coming to Puerto Natales (flying is a very pleasant experience in Chile - roomy seats, good food, and free alcohol). In the terminal, a nice chilean man invited me for a coffee and I got to practice my spanish. I was a little relieved he didn´t sit next to me on the plane, though, speaking spanish stresses me out.

I arrived in Punta Arenas, expecting to take a bus from the airport to Puerto Natales, where I had reservations at Erratic Rock - an oregonian ex-pat owned hostal for climbers. But I had to take a bus to Punta Arenas first, then another bus to Puerto Natales, 3 hours away. I arrived at 8 pm on Thanksgiving, starving.

I was immediately invited to partake in Thanksgiving Dinner...which for me was rice and stuffing bread. Here I met a few climbers who invited me out to the bar. We had some delicious Patagonian Beer, and by midnight said our goodbyes. One of the climbers was Tadeo, a chilean guide who has been working in Torres Del Paine since he was a teenager. The other climbers, Stephanie and Drew, ex-boulderites, were here climbing and working (Drew a carpenter and Steph a nanny for the hostal owners two boys). They were very nice people, and would have made great climbing partners if I had more time here.

Next on my agenda was to find a partner with whom to trek in Torres Del Paine.

No comments: