Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Bouldering Cave in the basement!


The only thing that could make this place better is a climbing gym, I thought, as Gonzalo gave me the hostal tour. While discussing favorite activities, and Gonzalo inviting me to take a yoga class while I´m here, I mentioned my passion for climbing.

Come downstairs, he motioned, and we descended a dusty, crumbling stone staircase. I first noticed climbing shoes and chalk bags, hanging from nails on the wall and nearly lost it. We turned a corner to arrive at a small bouldering cave with marked routes. All my friends here are climbers, he said. Paolo built this wall. It is yours to play on!

Later that night, Paolo showed up for his climbing session (every morning and night for one hour, he says) and invited me to climb with him. We bouldered for an hour, and he was impressed that I could do all the problems (even one he couldn´t do). Strong for a girl! he said, and shook my hand when I finished a route he fell on.

Paolo speaks italian, spanish, portuguese and english, and is a bike and hike guide here in Puerto Varas. I love my country! He always says, and told me about a secret climbing place. A place I immediately went online to see pictures of. He made me promise to keep it a secret, so those friends who are loyal enough to read my blog, you will ask me about it and instead of telling you I will tell you we should all go there together on our next trip. Perhaps January of 2011. (I have attached a picture from online to wet your appetite). Start planning.

I don´t think I´ll have time to go to this secret amazing incredible climbing place this trip, but it is on my to do list.

No comments: